Name of Linux is a unique combination among name of its creator and the name which becomes the target operating system (UNIX). It all began from an operating system named Minix. Minix was made by Professor Andrew Tanenbaum. Minix is an operating system like Unix that works on PCs. Torvald is a student at the University of Helsinki using Minix. Although good enough, he has not considered adequate Minix.
And then in 1991 he made an operating system which is a UNIX clone, named Linux.
As with Minix, Linux does not use any code from the commercial UNIX vendors, so Torvalds distribute Linux on the internet free of charge.
On October 5, 1991, Torvalds posted his operating system in newsgroups comp.os.minix. He announced that the Linux source code is available and ask for help other programmers to participate developing it. While it Linux is still half-baked, this operating system could only run a few UNIX commands, like bash, gcc and gnu-make. While Linux 1.0 was released in 1994, this operating system has been quite stable and has many features, like preemptive multitasking (the ability to share CPU resources for many applications) and symmetric multiprocessing (the ability to divide tasks among multiple CPUs).
Linux even has a mascot which by Torvalds himself described as "a penguin which adorable and friendly, which
satiety after eating a lot of herring. "
In 1996, the Linux development teams is all over the world began to gave results. That year they have created version of Linux for some versions of hardware, from the Atari ST to a Macintosh. Linux continues to develop rapidly, mainly because there are some distributors (like RedHat, Caldera, etc.) that competed for market share scramble. Therefore formed a group named the Linux Standard Base.
The group is working to ensure that have various Linux distributions which still can run the same applications and interoperability with each other. now,there are seven The most popular distributions of Linux. there are :
- 1. RedHat Linux, the most popular distributors in the U.S. and one of the most easy to use.
- 2. Mandrake Linux, the distributor which adding updates and patches for Red Hat Linux.
- 3. Caldera Open Linux, distibrusi Linux installation and graphical user environment that's good.
- 4. Suse Linux, the most popular Linux distribution in Europe.
- 5. Slackware Linux.
- 6. Debian GNU / Linux.
- 7. Turbo Linux, the most popular Linux distribution in Asia, which provides support for Asian character sets.
- The ability of LINUX
- Multitasking, allows programs running simultaneously (background)
- multithreading, could create a subprocess with an efficient way
- Deflection in I / O, Pipe and Filter
- Local and Network File System
- Security, login with a password, ownership, group
- X-Window System